Data Use Authorization
Vita Optimus, LLC ("Vitadox") offers certain services to its users ("You"), including searching, researching, reviewing, contacting, requesting and booking appointments with healthcare providers listed on the Vitadox.com website ("Healthcare Providers"). In order to provide such services, Vitadox may collect, store, use, manage, exchange, forward and share your information, including your health history and other health-related information, with your selected Healthcare Providers ("Your Healthcare Providers").
Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA"), as amended, some of this information may be considered "protected health information" ("PHI"), if such information is received on behalf of Your Healthcare Provider(s).
Safeguards of Protected Health Information
HIPAA protects the privacy and security of your PHI by limiting the use and disclosure of PHI by most healthcare providers and by health plans ("Covered Entities", as defined under HIPAA) as well as companies, like Vitadox, that provide certain types of services to Covered Entities ("Business Associates", as defined under HIPAA).
HIPAA describes certain circumstances when a person needs to sign a HIPAA Authorization form before a Covered Entity can disclose his/her PHI to a third party.
Information Not Subject to HIPAA
The purpose of this data use authorization ("Authorization") is for you to give your written permission to allow Vitadox to use and disclose your PHI in the same way as we use and disclose your Non-PHI. Even if Vitadox is acting as a Business Associate on behalf of Your Healthcare Provider, Vitadox needs your Authorization to be able to use and disclose your PHI in the same way it can currently use and disclose your Non-PHI when Vitadox is not working as a Business Associate of Your Healthcare Provider, but is instead working on its own behalf. Therefore, when Vitadox relies on your informed consent as agreed in this Authorization, and uses and discloses PHI as described in this Authorization, it is not working as a Business Associate and the HIPAA requirements that apply to Business Associates will not apply to such uses and disclosures.
Specifically, you agree that Vitadox may use your PHI to:
- enable and customize your use of the Vitadox services;
- provide you alerts or other Vitadox services regarding your current or future appointments;
- notify you regarding providers we think you may be interested in learning more about;
- share information with you regarding services, products or resources about which we think you may be interested in learning more;
- provide you with updates and information about Vitadox services;
- market to you about Vitadox and third-party products and services;
- conduct analysis for Vitadox's business purposes;
- support development of the Vitadox services; and
- create de-identified information and then use and disclose this information in any way permitted by law, including to third parties in connection with their commercial and marketing efforts;
You also agree that Vitadox can disclose your PHI to:
- third parties assisting Vitadox with any of the uses described above;
- Your Healthcare Providers to enable them to refer you to, and make appointments with, other providers on your behalf, or to perform an analysis on potential health issues or treatments, provided that you choose to use the applicable Vitadox service;
- a third party as part of a potential merger, sale or acquisition of Vitadox;
- Vitadox business partners who assist us by performing core services (such as hosting, billing, fulfillment, or data storage and security) related to the operation or provision of Vitadox services, even when Vitadox is no longer working on behalf of Your Healthcare Providers;
- a provider of medical services, in the event of an emergency; and
- organizations that collect, aggregate and organize your information so they can make it more easily accessible to your providers.
If Vitadox discloses your PHI, Vitadox will require that the person or entity receiving your PHI agrees to only use and disclose your PHI to carry out its specific business obligations for Vitadox or for the permitted purpose of the disclosure (as described above). However, Vitadox cannot guarantee that any such person or entity to will not re-disclose it in ways that you or we did not intend or permit.
Expiration and Revocation of Authorization
Your Authorization remains in effect until you provide written notice of revocation to Vitadox.
YOU MAY CHANGE YOUR MIND AND REVOKE THIS AUTHORIZATION AT ANY TIME AND FOR ANY REASON OR NO REASON AT ALL.
If You wish to revoke this Authorization and You are a registered user of Vitadox.com, you may revoke Your Authorization within your account settings page.
If You wish to revoke this Authorization and You are not a registered user of Vitadox.com, you may revoke Your Authorization by submitting a revocation request to [email protected]. In your revocation, please provide the email address you used for the purpose of the Vitadox service.
Your decision not to execute this Authorization or to revoke it at any time may affect your ability to use the Vitadox "Book an Appointment" services, but should not affect your ability to use other Vitadox services. A revocation of this Authorization is effective when Vitadox receives it, but it does not have any effect on actions taken in reliance on the Authorization before your revocation is processed.
We will make available to Your Healthcare Provider(s), current and past, your agreement to or revocation of this Authorization.